Thursday, May 1, 2014

Warblers finally

The last week has been cold, wet and windy - not ideal conditions for migration! Things have finally improved a bit and warblers are starting to arrive, with 6 species on my patch this morning.

This Black-and-white Warbler found a big moth, and proceeded to process it right in front of me.






Eventually he flew down to the ground to remove the wings and swallow the thick body.

Other warblers I've seen this week include many Yellow-rumped as well as smaller numbers of Pine, Palm, Nashville, Black-throated Green and Northern Waterthrush.

 
Black-throated Green Warbler

Tomorrow I head back to Rondeau for the first two-thirds of May to lead tours for their festival of flight. Right now there are three continuing birds in that part of the province that would be lifers - Eared Grebe, Marbled Godwit and Smith's Longspur. I'll definitely check for the grebe but the other two are a bit more out of the way, and I may just spend more time birding Rondeau and looking for my own birds instead. On the other hand, I am only 4 away from 300 birds all-time in Ontario, and it would be really nice to reach that milestone this month!

4 comments:

  1. Happy to hear you are back at Rondeau again this year! Good luck with the milestone! And good birding! We are on vacation after next week and heading to Cape May, NJ for a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently captured a yellow rumped warbler as well. It was at Hullett Marsh, Clinton Ontario.

    ReplyDelete