Thursday, May 18, 2017

Ontario Mammal Listing!

Mammal-watching is for the most part pretty different from birding. Most mammals are secretive and nocturnal, and many are very difficult to identify in the field. Still, if you spend enough time outside you'll see a lot of different species, and I enjoy keeping track of what I've seen and seeking out new ones. Below is what my general feelings are on how difficult various species are in Ontario. Let me know your thoughts on mammal listing and if you have anything you would change on this list!

These classifications are based on seeing animals live and unrestrained. Bats are mostly identifiable with a bat detector, and trapping allows views of various small mammals, but I'm discounting those methods below. I've also arbitrarily excluded feral cats and pigs as well as humans from this list. Species I've seen are marked with an asterisk.

Moose

Easy - These species should be essentially guaranteed if you spend a reasonable amount of time in the large areas where they're common
  • Least Chipmunk*
  • Eastern Grey Squirrel*
  • Eastern Chipmunk*
  • Red Squirrel*
  • Groundhog*
  • Beaver*
  • Meadow Vole*
  • Muskrat*
  • White-footed Mouse/Deer Mouse* (Inseparable in any realistic field setting? There are differences that are visible from some distance, but from what I've read they may not be entirely reliable. Only Deer Mouse is found north of about North Bay. Getting White-footed Mouse seems like a real challenge.)
  • Porcupine*
  • Snowshoe Hare*
  • Eastern Cottontail*
  • Short-tailed Shrew*
  • Eastern Coyote*
  • Red Fox*
  • Mink*
  • Striped Skunk*
  • Raccoon*
  • Black Bear*
  • Moose*
  • White-tailed Deer*  

Least Chipmunk

Moderate - These are some species that are a little bit harder to see (some are very strictly nocturnal) or more restricted in range
  • Virginia Opposum* (common but highly nocturnal)
  • Northern Flying Squirrel
  • Southern Flying Squirrel* (Flying squirrels are very difficult to identify in the broad area of range overlap, which to my knowledge is approximately Hamilton to North Bay)
  • Franklin's Ground Squirrel (Rainy River, I'm not sure how common it is there)
  • Fox Squirrel* (Pelee Island)
  • Woodland Jumping Mouse*
  • Meadow Jumping Mouse*
  • Southern Red-backed Vole*
  • House Mouse*
  • Norway Rat* 
  • European Hare* (declining, probably most common in extreme Southwestern Ontario now)
  • Eastern Red Bat*
  • Silver-haired Bat
  • Hoary Bat* 
  • Big Brown Bat* (These four bats are a little more distinctive than the four species listed below, and the first three are seen relatively frequently as migrants)
  • Eastern (Algonquin) Wolf* (mostly Algonquin Park)
  • Grey Wolf
  • Grey Fox (mostly Pelee Island)
  • Arctic Fox (not sure how common these are in their very difficult to access range, might belong in the Easy category)
  • Canada Lynx
  • River Otter*
  • American Marten* (common and easily seen in Algonquin, but my understanding is that they're a lot less common in most other areas with much human settlement)
  • Fisher* 
  • Short-tailed Weasel (Ermine)*
  • Long-tailed Weasel*
  • Elk (introduced populations mostly in Bancroft area)
  • Woodland Caribou (easy on the Slate Islands, otherwise difficult)
 
Hard - These species are either really uncommon or just very hard to see
  • White-tailed Jackrabbit (Rainy River, and very rare there?)
  • Water Shrew
  • Eastern Mole (Point Pelee)
  • Hairy-tailed Mole*
  • Star-nosed Mole
  • Eastern Small-footed Myotis
  • Little Brown Myotis*
  • Northern Myotis
  • Tricolored Bat (these four bats are in major decline due to white-nose syndrome, and regardless are not possible to identify without a bat detector or by finding them roosting. Formerly a lot more common and easily seen, but likely to be almost completely eliminated from Ontario in the near future.)
  • Bobcat 
  • American Badger 

Hard - Most of these species should be reasonably common and not too hard to see, but identifying them in any real field setting may be essentially impossible
  • Rock Vole
  • Woodland Vole
  • Heather Vole
  • Northern Bog Lemming
  • Southern Bog Lemming (perhaps a bit easier than the rest on this list)
  • Arctic Shrew
  • Masked Shrew
  • Smoky Shrew
  • Pygmy Shrew (These four Sorex shrews are common sightings as a whole, and I've seen likely over 50 individuals, but separating the species them is generally not possible as far as I know).

Sorex sp.

Good luck, you'll need it.
  • Wolverine
  • Cougar
  • Least Shrew
  • Least Weasel (maybe this is actually possible in some areas?)
 
Marine Mammals - Some of these are definitely easy if you can actually get to James/Hudson Bay where they're found, but that's the hard part. Fun fact: there are good historical accounts of Harbour Seals in eastern Lake Ontario/the Upper St. Lawrence River!
  • Harbour Seal
  • Ringed Seal
  • Bearded Seal
  • Walrus
  • Polar Bear
  • Beluga
  • Narwhal


And that's it except for a few species that have been recorded but are likely not present with any regularity (Thirteen-lined Ground Squirrel, Black Rat, Arctic Hare, Vesper Bat, Minke Whale). I've seen about 42/80 species.


Snowshoe Hare

7 comments:

  1. Interesting post...I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are looking for a positive lending experience I would recommend Le_Meridian Funding Service. It is surprisingly easy to receive a debt help. You will be treated with respect and professionalism Because they helped me with loan too . Email Contact..lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius, call/whats-App Contact Number +918929509036 via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW I GOT MY EX HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF REAL AND EFFECTIVE SPELL FROM DR Osasu My name is Olivia Jayden, I never thought I will smile again, My husband left me with two kids for one year, All effort to bring him back failed I thought I'm not going to see him again not until I met a lady called Jesse who told me about a spell caster called Dr. Osasu , She gave me his email address and mobile number and I contacted him and he assured me that within 48hours my husband will come back to me, In less than 48hours my husband came back started begging for forgiveness saying it is the devils work, so I'm still surprise till now about this miracle,i couldn't conceive but as soon as the spell was cast,i became pregnant and gave birth to my third child,if you need any assistance from him you can contact him via:email: drosasu25@gmail.com Or WhatsApp or call him now:
    +2347064365391 . Dr.Osasu also cures: 1. HIV / AIDS 2. HERPES 1/2 3. CANCER 4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) 5. Hepatitis B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am really grateful and thankful for what Dr Roberto has done for me and my family with is herbal herbs , I have be suffering from HIV for good three years with no solution, the diseases almost took my life and because I was unable to work and I was also loosing lots of money for medication, but one faithful day when I went online, I met lots of testimonies about this great man so I decided to give it a try and to God be the glory he did it. If you need his help or you also want to get cured just the way I got mine, just email him below (drrobertomayorherbelhome@gmail.com) and get your healing. He has cure for other deadly diseases like Herpes, Hiv/Aids, Hepatitis , Cancer , Fix Broken marriage , Looking for a child he can still do that for you .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you need Finance? Are you looking for Finance? Are you looking for finance to enlarge your business? We help individuals and companies to obtain finance for business expanding and to setup a new business ranging any amount. Get finance at affordable interest rate of 3%, Do you need this finance for business and to clear your bills? Then send us an email now for more information contact us now via (financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com) whats-App +918929509036 Thank

    ReplyDelete
  7. DO YOU THINK OF GETTING A LOAN??
    APPLY TODAY FOR AFFORDABLE 100% LEGITIMATE HOME/REAL ESTATE/PERSONAL/BUSINESS LOANS Email for immediate response: (iskandalestari.kreditpersatuan@gmail.com)
     WA/Call (+33) 6057-33479


    DO YOU NEED A LOAN? Are Financially down, Cry no more, Financial problem is nothing to cry about, it is something we will have to fight against in one Love, Understanding, Trust and Unity. So our faith as Legitimate Financial Consultants is putting an end to the financial hardship. We are investors providing financial services and we specialize in both start up projects,Home Finance and existing businesses needing funding or Loan for expansion. We are committed to helping businesses develop and succeed. Do you have a low credit score and you are finding it hard to obtain capital loan from local banks and other financial institutes? Do you need an urgent loan to buy a house? If Yes worry no more because we are out here to help the less financially privileged get the loan they need to get back on their feet no matter your credit score, you can say goodbye to all your financial crisis and difficulties. We offer loans  At a low and affordable interest rate of , without collateral and without credit check without guarantor and also no paperwork is needed. Iskandar Lenders holds all of the information about how to obtain money quickly and painlessly  (iskandalestari.kreditpersatuan@gmail.com)
     WA/Call (+33) 6057-33479

    ReplyDelete