Friday, June 21, 2013

Frogs and Flowers at Rondeau

Better late than never, here are some non-bird highlights from May at Rondeau. I spent most of my time birding, but did take other opportunities as they came up.

After a dry week there was heavy rain on the evening of May 8, so I walked along the road for over an hour looking for amphibians. Many Spring Peepers, Gray Tree Frogs, Wood Frogs, Green Frogs and American Toads were crossing over.

Wood Frog

Every Spring Peeper I saw seemed extremely thin. This date was still at the height of the deafening chorus of peepers, and I suspect all the healthy individuals were too preoccupied with reproduction to do any travelling.

This Gray Tree Frog was well camouflaged despite the unnatural background.

This is one of the most boldly marked tree frogs I've seen.

The diversity and numbers of butterflies was very low, especially compared to the unbelievable numbers last year. This Eastern Comma was little consolation after missing the Kirtland's Warbler!


When a cold spell made the birding very slow I spent quite some time looking at wildflowers. I have little background in plants so I don't have much to offer besides identification, but the diversity and density of woodland flowers far surpassed anywhere else I've been in spring. 

This aberrant Red Trillium with 6 petals was seen by many as it grew next to Spicebush Trail.

Toothwort 

Jack-in-the-pulpit 

Large-flowered Bellwort 

 Wild Strawberry

Wood Betony 

Starry False Solomon's Seal

Plenty of awesome species, but I wish I'd had more time to really explore the non-avian diversity at Rondeau. It gives me a good reason to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment