Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Gooselets and more

I haven't been posting much just because I haven't had anything to post. I have been getting out a fair bit, but mostly just for 30 minutes to an hour when I can't stand sitting inside when it's so nice out. Things are definitely happening on the bird front, but I still haven't seen any herps or butterflies this year.

My most exciting recent find has been this group of 4 Cackling Geese (with 3 Canadas in the photo) at the "Correctional Ponds" in Guelph. Note how the bird between the Canadas at back left is fully alert, but is still significantly shorter than the relaxed Canadas. I called the middle bird a Cackling although it was about 20% larger and longer-billed than the other three. Natural variation or hybrid ancestry?


I spent a few minutes hawk-watching at one point to try pick up my first Red-shouldered Hawks of the year, and was quickly successful with two flyovers, as well as a Sharp-shinned Hawk and a few Red-tails and Turkey Vultures. This Red-tail was oblivious to my presence as it hunted from a light pole. Unfortunately, it was looking down on a soccer field with artificial turf, so I can't imagine it was particularly successful!


Other new migrants I've picked up recently include Tundra Swan, Great Blue Heron, Tree Swallow and greatly increased numbers of Killdeer, Turkey Vultures, Song Sparrows and Brown-headed Cowbirds. The first warbler (Pine) should be here within two weeks, and half a dozen new species of sparrows will start showing up any time!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear spring is finally arriving there! :)

    ReplyDelete